Protecting Art Before & After A Hurricane
Protecting Art Before & After A Hurricane
Documenting, securing, and protecting art before & after a hurricane is important, especially if an insurance claim is necessary after the storm. The tips below will not only keep your art as safe as possible but will also show your insurance company you were not negligent, should a claim be necessary.
Before the Storm
To better protect your valuables, follow these tips before a hurricane:
- Document: Photograph all your collectibles and document their current condition prior to the storm so any potential damage can be assessed.
- Secure indoor art: All wall hanging devices should be properly secured. Artwork hung on plaster walls needs extra stability as wet plaster could allow art pieces to fall.
- Secure outdoor art: Bring outdoor sculptures indoors. If they cannot be moved easily, wrap them in burlap or blankets tied with rope to protect them from wind damage.
- Use interior rooms: Art taken off walls should be stored at least three inches off the ground, wrapped in plastic (if the surface is not tacky), and separated with cardboard larger than the size of the frames.
- Art evacuation plan: Prepare an evacuation plan so your collection is secured in a climate-controlled art storage facility if moving it offsite ahead of the storm. Confirm arrangements ahead of time as service providers who will transport will be limited.
- Up-to-date appraisal: Make sure your collection is appropriately valued according to current market conditions.
- Update insurance coverage: Make sure your policy is current, including recently purchased or sold items. Include current appraised values.
After the Storm
- Document: Photograph and make a list of all damaged items.
- Restoration: Address any damage promptly before the condition worsens. Place the piece(s) in a lighted, air-conditioned area to help prevent mold and mildew.
- Contact a professional conservator for assistance as soon as possible. For referrals to a qualified independent network of conservators, appraisers, and other fine art specialists, contact your agent or broker.
To ensure your art is protected during the hurricane season, enroll in the Bellissima Priority Client Program! We will arrange a plan of action ahead of time to collect your art and store it at our CAT5 Hurricane Rated Facility. Should a hurricane be a threat to your area, our art handling specialists will collect your art and bring it back to our facility until the storm has passed. They will then schedule to deliver your art and reinstall it like it never left. Our program is limited to a first-come, first-served basis. Enroll today!
What yacht crew should know about caring for art on yachts. Q&A with Bellissima Luxury & Fine Art Services.
Q. Art is a huge part of the personalization of a yacht, from paintings to sculptures to the furniture and even the carpet. What one or two key things should crew know about the “art” onboard a yacht? A. We use the phrase “care, custody and control” a lot. With that in mind, the most […]
Moving Into a New Condominium 1. Plan Ahead Create a Move-In Timeline. This should include things such as deliveries of new appliances, furniture, art installation, etc. Make a floor plan of where your larger belongings are going to be placed, including furniture, electronics, and art! 2. Get Familiar with the Logistics Is there parking for […]
Provenance: What It Is and Why It Matters. From the French word, provenir, meaning “to come from,” provenance is the chronology of the ownership, custody, or location of an object. Provenance is the documentation used to authenticate a particular art piece. These documents are used in general to establish authenticity, ownership, and value. In addition, provenance documentation can […]
I used Bellissima to pack, store and move our artwork, lamps and collectibles. I had heard they were great from other customers, but they were more than "great", they were wonderful. They are careful, responsive, dedicated and professional. I would highly, highly...
Bellissima did a great job with our out-of-stare packing/shipping needs. They were extremely flexible and fit us into a tight window of time. Very easy to work from afar. thank you!
Bellissima is the only team I trust with my fine art transportation and storage. They packed all my artwork carefully and efficiently. Susan was so kind and courteous and her team was on-time and incredibly reliable. If you have fine art that...